CLICK. Put Your Little Hand In Mine…

The Clock Radio Goes Off… Again!

Here’s the sequel (yes, yet another summer sequel) to my blog “Hurry Up And Wait” for those of you who just have to know how it all played out. For those of you who couldn’t care less, why are you reading this, I wonder? Get a life!

So unlike J.K. Rowland, I will tell you now right up front how the story ends: Yes, we got home… finally. AFter several more halting attempts, in the afternoon of the second day. The river was way up when we arrived. Thankfully we live next to the airstrip and didn’t have to cross to get home. Our village had nearly 8″ of rain in the 10 days we were gone. That’s our hometown San Diego’s annual rainfall. But again, we’re thankful it stopped raining long enough for us to get home. It did kick up quite a gale and rain later in the afternoon, and again in the middle of the night.

Our pilot’s wife texted us that those two days of start-n-stop flights (we’re going! no we’re not! load up the plane… no wait! no, hurry up! yes! no! hurry up! wait!) reminded her of the movie Groundhog Day. She said it was like we had to keep living the same moment over and over until we got it right.

That was a pretty funny movie. Remember how the newscaster played by Bill Murray went to Punxutawney, PA to cover Groundhog Day. Then he kept waking up and having to live the same day over and over again. Each morning his clock alarm would click, start playing Sonny and Cher’s “I’ve Got You, Babe” from exactly the same point in the song (see my blog title) and the morning DJs would say the same words. Verbatim. Over and over and over.

Anyway, when she mentioned that movie, my response was, “Thanks a lot. Now I’ll have Sonny and Cher going through my mind all day!” And of course that’s where the subject comes from on this blog. Well, at least that’s better than the Archies’ “Sugar Sugar”!!! (Oops!! Now that dates me. And if you were also listening to the Top 10 in 1969, now you’re gonna be mad at me, heh heh. Sorry. It just slipped out.)

CLICK. “Put your little hand in mine…”

Okay, so after all the attempt at flying home on Thursday morning, we tried again on Friday. That second flight day we got up extra extra early again (remember the coffee and the whole packing up drill.) The pilot called at 6:30 and said the weather seemed good down south, so we bustled over to the hangar. By the time we had loaded the fresh cargo (but not yet the dog) in the plane, a quick check of the weather brought the news of rain and wind down south at our destination.

So… we had time to go grab some breakfast. At 10 a.m. the situation seemed good again, so…

CLICK. “Put your little hand in mine…”

We returned to the hangar. Loaded up. Including the dog, this time. Taxied out and took off! Here we go…!

No, here we don’t go! We landed again! A tiny little problem with the plane.

(TIME OUT: technical explanation)…
I will do my best to avoid the word “thingie” here, okay? Okay, there’s a little straw-like tube under the wing that air blows into as you fly. It measures air speed and so provides a crucial bit a data for the pilot. Years ago a mud dauber wasp had filled that tube’s end with mud in the 10 minutes the pilot was on the ground in our village, resulting in a take-off-abort-landing. After that, the pilot started slipping a little leather bootie over the tube. Now, the high-tech little metal flap which covers the end of the tube didn’t flip up when the wind hit it, so we had to land and check it out. The pilot explained that is has something to do with flying being a result of going fast enough (i.e. “air speed”) so that you don’t fall to the ground (i.e. “crash.”) I said, I’d buy that.
(OKAY: return to theme line)…

You guessed it… clock radio time once again!

CLICK. “Put your little hand in mine…”

Yup. By the time the plane was deemed airworthy, the air was no longer deemed plane-worthy! Storm winds and rain were blowing in and the satellite indicated we were to enjoy a couple hours of this, at least.

So… we had time to go grab some lunch. (NOTE TO PETA: we unloaded the dog first, and fed her, too, okay?)

CLICK. “Put your little hand in mine…”

One more time. We were starting to understand how Bill Murray must have felt (well, not exactly.) The weather was safe for flying, but it was a guarded 50-50 whether a flight would get us all the way home, or mean a return to Puerto or getting stranded half-way. Being the unHobbitlike adventurers that we are (and really wanting to get home) we opted to go for it.

We loaded up (yet again, including the dog.) Taxied out… took off… checked the airspeed indicator… and… FLEW HOME! It was a slower than usual flight, fighting headwind the whole way.

We were very thankful to get home. And glad to find everything in good condition. Believe me, when you leave a house in the jungle for more than a couple hours, that is not a “given”!!! It was great to be able to relax, and later (not too much later!) in our own bed. We were pretty tired.

Then it was good to wake up and get back into our routine.

CLICK. Nope, this morning Sonny and Cher did not sing again. And it definitely wasn’t “cold out there today”!! We had broken through and were free to live beyond Groundhog Day.

That’s a funny movie and a silly concept, of course. But it got me to thinking…

Bill Murray started out using his perpetual instant replay for his own selfish gain at first. Then, he used it to help others. About as close as Hollywood comes to a moralistic lesson in the proverbial happy ending.

But… what if we had the chance to live yesterday over again? …or any day for that matter? What would we do differently? That’s an interesting thought for a Christian.

Seems to me that our goal should be to live each day in such a way that, given the chance, we’d do it all again. Exactly the same. Verbatim. Not because we were simply being endlessly replayed like those Punxutawney morning disc jockeys, but because we did all the right things the first time.

Wow. Lord, I think I need some help with this one…


About billdavisthoughts

From San Diego, CA. I've been a missionary and Bible translator in the Philippines for over 30 years and have travelled as a language learning consultant to 15 countries. I play piano and guitar. I write, read voraciously and love to work on word puzzles. Married for 35 years, we have two daughters and two grandchildren.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s